The most stable kayak skiff that you can launch, drive, paddle and beach anywhere, and easily cartop by yourself
2023 W720 Kayak-Skiff
The 2023 model W720 is Wavewalk’s newest, patented catamaran kayak skiff from the W700 series.
The W720 delivers top performance in paddling and driving, for solo and tandem crews.
2023 Color: Gator Green
Price: $2,200 + shipping
Customer reviews with pictures »
W720 Video Playlist
Super stability, unrivaled by any kayak of any size
The W720 is not as stable as the S4 microskiff, but its stability is better than that of any kayak of any size, and it is comparable to that of a small fishing boat.
Motorizing and Driving
You can drive the W720 riding the comfortable and stable saddle-seat, or standing up
With a load capacity of 400 lbs, the W720 can serve as a boat tender, and for touring:
The W720 passengers ride its 7’8″ long ergonomic saddle, which is similar to the saddles of jet-skis, all-terrain vehicles (ATV) and snowmobiles, and they can stand up anytime. The average US male weighs 200 lbs, and the average US female weighs 165 lbs, so with its 400 lbs total payload, the W720 has enough room and carrying capacity for a crew of two adult passengers and their gear, or two adult passengers and one child.
Summary of W720 Features, Benefits, and Pricing
|W720 Price (factory direct order)||$2,200 + shipping (see rates below)|
|Vessel Type||kayak – canoe / with catamaran hull|
|Total Boat Width (Beam)||31″|
|Total Weight Without Accessories||80 lbs|
|Hull Width||2 hulls, each 9″ wide|
|Total Cockpit Length||L = 7’6″|
|Total Cockpit Width||W = 31″|
|Saddle-Seat Height||14 3/8″|
|MDO (Wood Composite) Saddle Bracket Installed||yes, 1 unit|
|Molded-In Polyethylene Saddle Brackets||yes, 7 units|
|Built-In Large-Size Saddle Flotation||yes|
|Transom Motor Mount||yes, with mounting plate for 3 HP motor|
|Max Payload (Passengers + Gear + Motor)||400 lbs|
|Paddling||2 adult paddlers in full comfort + child|
|Fishing||2 adult anglers in full comfort + outboard motor|
|Motorizing||calm water, protected bays, estuaries|
|Driving With Electric Trolling Motor||yes|
|Driving With 20″ Long (L) Outboard Gas Motor||yes, max 3 hp motor|
|Driving With 15″ Short (S) Outboard Gas Motor||no|
For more W720 kayak-skiff tech specs and info see here »
Wavewalk offers a 5% discount on the total order to members and veterans of U.S. Armed Forces, law enforcement officers, and firefighters.
Wavewalk does not collect sales tax, but you’ll be required to pay sales tax when you register your W720 as a motorized kayak with your local authorities.
Most states do not require issuing a title for a motorized kayak, such as the W720. You’d have to find out what the specific requirements are with your state’s authority that’s responsible for registering boats.
Customer reviews with pictures »
Are you looking for even more stability, seaworthiness, speed, and load capacity? – Checkout the S4 Cartop Microskiff »
The S4 is the highest standard in small craft: A 100 lbs twin-hull super skiff that delivers full-size boat stability, speed and seaworthiness, plus great paddling capabilities and hassle-free car-top transportation. Read more »
W720 Shipping Rates
|South Atlantic||FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, DC, MD, DE||$650|
|Middle Atlantic||PA, NYC, NJ||$700|
|S. New England||CT, RI, MA||$750|
|N. New England, UPNY||VT, NH, ME, UPNY||$800|
|E. South Central||MS, AL, TN, KY||$700|
|W. South Central||TX, LA, OK, AR||$900|
|E. North Central||IL, IN, OH, WI, MI||$900|
|W. North Central||KS, MO, NE, IA, SD, ND, MN||$900|
|Mountain||AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, ID, WY, MT||$1,000|
|Pacific||WA, OR, CA||$1,200|
|CANADIAN METRO AREA||USD|
We ship every W720 in a custom heavy-duty cardboard box. Shipping includes insurance and call before delivery service.
- We don’t ship to addresses on islands, unless the island is connected to the mainland by a bridge enabling a trailer truck to cross over.
- Our actual shipping costs are always higher than what we charge our clients, and we’re happy to pay the difference, in most cases. However, in case a client’s address is in an extremely remote location, and the shipping cost to it is prohibitive, we reserve the right to charge the client an additional fee.
- All overseas clients, including clients in Hawaii and Alaska, take care of shipping their order from the factory or US port to their address. Shipping by UPS Air to addresses in EU countries can cost around the same as shipping to the US West Coast, or more. Please contact us for details.
- Shipping a W720 costs as much as shipping an S4 because their length is nearly the same, and freight carriers classify it as “oversize”.
Factory pickup – Our kayaks and boats are manufactured in Latta, South Carolina. Clients can save the shipping cost by picking up their order at the factory. Please contact us for details.
HOW TO ORDER A W720?
Simply, send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply tell us that you’re ordering a W720, your shipping address and phone number, and we’ll process your order immediately, without waiting for your check to arrive and clear. By the time we receive your check, your order will be close to being completed. We will notify you when we ship your W720 to you, and the carriers will call you to set the appointment for the delivery.
Please make your check payable to Wavewalk, Inc.
Our address: Wavewalk, Inc., 115 Terrace Avenue, RI 02915
Call us 774 315-6009
order cancellation, product warranty, and service POLICY»
W720 FULL TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Total Length: 154″ 12’10” (391 cm)
Total Width: 31″ (79 cm)
Total Height: 17″
Total Weight: 805 lbs (36 kg) including motor mount
Cockpit Length 91″ 7’7″ (231 cm)
Hull Width: 9″ (23 cm) x 2 hulls
Hull Height Below The Saddle: 9″ (23 cm)
Hull Tip Length From Cockpit To End: 30″ 2’6″ (76 cm)
Total Saddle Height: 14.375″ up from the bottom of the hulls (38 cm)
Total Saddle Length: 90″ (228 cm)
Total Saddle Volume: 24 gallons (3 cubic ft / 90 liters) for the closed-wall part
Total Positive Buoyancy: (Net Flotation Capacity) 180 lbs (81 kg)
W720 Carrying Capacity (Payload) and Draft
The average US adult male weighs 200 lbs, and the average US adult female weighs 165 lbs. With its maximal recommended payload of 400 lbs, the W720 tandem kayak-skiff can carry two average size passengers, plus a portable outboard gas motor up to 3 HP.
- Max Recommended Load: 400 lbs (181 kg)
SHALLOW DRAFT IN REAL-WORLD TERMS
The W720 offers its crew to paddle easily, effectively and comfortably in water that’s too shallow for an outboard motor’s propeller to work in. Poling over long distances is not an option for most people, which is why the W720’s full paddling alternative to motorizing makes it the most practical boat for fishing in shallow water, as well as in places where aquatic vegetation and underwater structures limit the use of a motor. The full-fledged paddling option also makes it possible to launch and beach the W720 practically anywhere.
The W720 has an internal volume for storage and passengers that’s extremely large: 20.5 cubic ft (153 gallons, 580 liters). This volume does not include the space inside of the watertight Saddle, which should not be used for storage, since it is designated to serve as flotation. Practically, the W720 offers as much onboard storage space as a medium size Jon boat does. Read more about onboard storage »
The W720 saddle is a large-volume watertight compartment that provides 180 lbs (81 kg) of positive buoyancy, which works as flotation in case of capsize.
Paddling mode: The W720 is considerably faster when powered by a tandem crew or a strong paddler, and it’s pretty fast for an average solo paddler.
Motorized: With a 3 HP outboard motor, the W720 can rarely exceed 10 mph.
Note: Currently, no manufacturer of outboard gas motors offers a 4-cycle 3 HP model, and the closest are 2.5 HP outboards. As for various electric motors that are presented as being equivalent in power to 3 HP gas outboard motors, they are not, to the best of our understanding. See the “Thrust, Horsepower (HP) and Kilowatts (KW)” section in this article on motorized kayaks »
The W720 is assembled from two parts rotomolded from High Density Polyethylene (HDPE). These two parts are –
- The Saddle, which is closed from all directions and watertight. These attributes makes it effective as flotation for the boat.
- The Twinhull, which includes the two hulls, the Spray Deflector that goes around the cockpit, and a base for the Saddle part that’s dubbed the Central Platform.
The Twinhull is protected by seven molded-in plastic brackets integrated with the Saddle, plus one MDO (wood and polymer resin composite) heavy duty bracket installed behind the saddle, in a special compartment. This 3D animation video shows how the W720’s Twinhull and Saddle parts are assembled:
The saddle part is watertight, and serves as flotation. It features seven integrated (molded-in) plastic brackets (see above video) which keep the boat rigid.
Heavy Duty (HD) wooden Saddle Bracket and Motor Mounting Plate
The above video doesn’t show the MDO (composite of wood and polymer resin) bracket installed behind the saddle, in a special compartment.
This additional saddle bracket reinforces the boat’s structure in the stern area, where the load created by the combined weight of a heavy passenger and an outboard motor requires it.
In addition, this bracket provides support for the W720 motor mounting plate, which is attached to it from behind by means of a pair of 5/16 bolts and a pair of screws.
Together the wooden bracket and mounting plate form the motor mount for outboard motors up to 3 HP.
For more W720 kayak-skiff tech specs, see here »
Hull: Rotationally Molded High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
Saddle: Rotationally Molded High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
Heavy Duty (HD) Saddle Bracket: Medium Density Overlay (MDO) coated with urethane.
Mounting Plate for Outboard Motor: Medium Density Overlay (MDO) coated with urethane.
Thanks to the extra durability and resilience of Polyethylene, it is the polymer resin of choice for molding nearly all modern kayaks.
Our boats and kayaks are made from 100% recyclable materials
W720 Country of Origin:
Our kayaks, boats and accessories are 100% Made in USA
Paddling Kit for Kayaking and Canoeing » Price: $110
This kit includes a 9 ft long, 2-piece dual blade ‘Kayaking’ paddle and a pair of T-grip handles.
The two halves of the XL paddle can be instantly outfitted with handles, and transformed into 2 canoe paddles.
This paddling kit also complements driving the W720, since canoe paddles take less room on board than longer kayak paddles do, and you always need a paddle on board a small boat, to help with launching and beaching, going in shallow water, and just in case something goes wrong with the motor.
We do not ship this paddling kit separately from the kayak itself.
Transportation and Carrying
Car topping a W720 is easy and quick, even for one person –
Carrying a W720 can be as easy as dragging it on the ground:
Note: We ship the W720 without Nylon eyelets (tie-downs), flotation tubes, and spray shield seen in this video. The motor mount seen in it is an old, discontinued model. We do not recommend driving or paddling the W720 in the open ocean.
Customer Reviews »
W720 – Users and Applications
- Big Guys. These users can enjoy extreme stability, a roomy cockpit, and a high saddle seat that’s considerably more comfortable and ergonomic than any other kayak seat. Read a big guy’s review »
- Tandem Paddlers (Touring). Typically, two paddlers looking to paddle together in a stable, comfortable, dry, and easy to paddle craft that they could car-top without problems. The W720 is a better solution compared to both canoes and regular tandem kayaks. With two average size paddlers on board, the W720 can carry some gear on board as well, or a small child, or a dog.
- Tandem Kayak Anglers. Typically, two guys who fish out of a large size kayak or canoe. Recommended models: W720 or S4, depending on propulsion preference (paddle or motor), and type of water (e.g. flat water, bays, offshore). The W720 is a perfect tandem fishing kayak that works well with a small, lightweight outboard motor up to 3 HP, while the S4 is a high-performance motorboat that works pretty well as a tandem kayak too.
- Solo Hunters. There is enough room on board a W720 for a large size hunter, plus plenty of hunting gear including dozens of decoys (see storage video), a motor, and a dog or two.
- Tandem Hunters. Typically, duck hunters and other waterfowl hunters, and their gear. Recommended models: W720, S4. The W720 works perfectly for paddling, and the S4 works perfectly for motorizing, including with a surface drive (mud motor).
- Families. The W720 is suitable for a couple paddling on flat water together with two young children, and it can be outfitted with an outboard gas motor up the 3 HP.
- Boaters. The 720 works very well as a tender (service boat) for a big boat or a yacht. The S4 works better in this capacity thanks to its bigger payload capability and seaworthiness, and the fact that you can tow it behind the boat, which is not advised for the W720.
- Solo Kayak Anglers. The W720 is lighter and much more stable than any high-end SOT or sit-in fishing kayak out there. The S4 has a bigger load capacity, and it’s more seaworthy than all kayaks and most microskiffs. Watch movies »
- Flats Fishermen. Typically, these anglers fish out of a Jon boat, a microskiff or a skiff, which is a name given to a broad range of small, shallow-draft, stable motorboats that are too heavy to car-top, and can’t be paddled effectively. The W720 is easy to car top even for one person, and unrivaled as a mobile and stable paddle craft. More microskiff info »
- Offshore Fishermen. The S4 is considerably more seaworthy than the W720.
- Offshore Technical Crews. People working on offshore scientific, engineering and maintenance projects that typically involve the use of Rigid Hull Inflatable Boats (RHIB) or RIB (Rigid-Inflatable Boat). Recommended model: S4.
- Catamaran-Dinghy Sailors. For a 1-2 crew. Recommended model: S4.
- Speed, Fun, and Adventure Seekers. For a 1-2 crew. Recommended model: Motorized S4.
Customer Reviews »
W720 or S4?
- W720 advantages over the S4: Solo kayaking, solo canoeing, light tandem kayaking, light tandem canoeing, portability.
- S4 advantages over the W720: Driving, ocean, tandem motorizing, tandem fishing, stability, offshore trips, load capacity (big guys, additional passengers, heavy gear, powerful motor).
- Shallow water – The S4 drafts less than the W720, and it features a skiff stand up casting platform, but the W720 paddles better.
- Offshore – The S4 is much more seaworthy than the W720.
- Motor – The S4 features a molded-in motor mount and a 1.5″ heavy-duty wooden mounting plate, while the W720 features a 3/4″ wooden mounting plate that’s attached to a wooden saddle bracket inside its cockpit. The S4 is considerably more stable and has a higher load capacity the W720, and due to all these differences, the S4 is rated for a 6 HP motor and the W720 for a 3 HP motor.
order cancellation, product warranty, and service POLICY»
Do you feel unsure? Please don’t hesitate to call or email us. We’re always happy to answer questions about our products and the best ways to use them, and offer more details about performance, outfitting, etc.
More about the W700 Series and the W720 Kayak-Skiff
- Choosing an outboard motor »
- 15 miles round trip, offshore »
- In the fish – Filling an electric kayak with Blue Catfish » By Captain Larry Jarboe
- Owners reviews »
- Onboard storage »