Wavewalk’s Cat Skiff
The Most Stable, Seaworthy, Versatile and High-Performance Cartop Microskiff
1. Wavewalk S4 official YouTube video playlist
2. ABOUT THE S4
The S4 is a catamaran (twin hull), super-stable, high performance, extremely versatile and seaworthy cartop microskiff that’s easy and fun to drive at high speed, both on flat water and in rough water.
The S4 also works perfectly for kayak fishing, namely with its user or crew paddling it.
The S4 is Wavewalk’s 4th boat series since 2004, following the 300 (Mark I and II), 500, and 700 series.
Like all other Wavewalk® products, this boat is 100% Made in USA.
The S4 delivers the highest performance in the field of small boats and ultralight micro skiffs, even before you’ve reached the water, starting from the fact that at 100 lbs it doesn’t require a trailer for transportation, and it’s easily portable even on rough terrain.
Its patented twin-hull (catamaran) design delivers more stability than any boat of comparable size out there, including wider and heavier ones. This allows for driving in fast currents, in choppy water, and in the ocean.
The S4’s extra large cockpit (8′ long x 38″ wide) offers ample room for two anglers or hunters and their gear, or for up to three adult passengers – a total of up to 600 lbs.
The S4 features a long saddle seat similar to the saddle of other high performance vehicles (e.g. Jet-ski, ATV), which offers maximal balancing capability and full comfort in choppy water, and long trips.
The S4 features a skiff’s stand up casting platform at its bow.
The slanted sides of the S4 cockpit enable its passengers to paddle with more ease and better control than canoes and tandem fishing kayaks offer.
The S4 has an extremely shallow draft, and this fact in combination with its portability, load capacity and high performance as a paddle craft makes it the most practical solution for shallow water fishing.
Click image to enlarge
- Length: 13 ft (396 cm)
- Beam (Total Width): 38″ (97 cm)
- Cockpit Length: 95″ (241 cm)
- Cockpit Height: 17″ (43 cm)
- Saddle Height: 15″ (38 cm)
- Width of a single hull: 13″ (33 cm)
- Total Weight: 98 lbs (44.5 kg)
Structure Overview and Features
- Patented twin-hull Wavewalk® catamaran hulls
- Personal watercraft (a.k.a. ‘jet-ski’) style 7’6″ long Saddle seat featuring a series of seven molded-in brackets, and six vertical molded-in reinforcement columns
- Integrated Skiff Style Stand-Up Casting Platform at the bow, with anti-skid surface. Read more »
- The Cockpit’s Slanted Sides allow passengers to paddle with more ease and comfort than paddling a canoe or a common kayak of such width.
- Preparation for a vertical mounting plate for outboard motor at the stern
- Each S4 ships with a heavy duty mounting plate for an outboard motor, standard
Two Medium Density Overlay (MDO) 0.75″ thick Saddle Brackets – One bracket at each end of the saddle.
The bracket in the front provides additional support for the stand up casting platform, and the rear bracket serves as extra support for a motor mount.
Each bracket is attached to the vertical wall that’s adjacent to it by means of two rivets. The rivets are sealed with waterproof adhesive.
- Built-In Flotation – The S4 Saddle is a watertight compartment that offers 180 lbs of positive buoyancy.
- Two pairs of integrated, molded-in heavy duty Carry Handles – A pair at the bow, and a pair at the stern.
- Material – The S4 is roto-molded from High Density Polyethylene (HDPE), for extra durability and resilience. Polyethylene is the polymer resin from which nearly all modern kayaks are made.
- Average Wall Thickness: 0.150″ (3.8 mm)
Colors (2021): White, Gator (drab) Green
Best Stability in Small Boats
- Initial (Primary) Stability: The S4 is more stable than any kayak, canoe, Jon boat and micro skiff of similar size. A 200 lbs person standing with both feet in one of the S4 hulls will make it draft barely 1″ lower than it would if that person stood with one foot in each hull – hardly a noticeable difference.
- Secondary Stability and Balancing Capability: The unique combination of a saddle seat (such as ATVs, PWC and snowmobiles feature) with high-volume twin hulls enables the passengers to balance themselves easily, intuitively, and more effectively than in any other boat, including kayaks, canoes, Jon boats, dinghies, skiffs, and personal watercraft (PWC / ‘jet-ski’).
The S4 is unrivaled in Stability terms.
Best Boat Ergonomics
The 15″ high saddle featuring in the S4 is similar to the saddle featuring in other high performance land and water vehicles, such as All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV), Personal Watercraft (PWC / ‘jet-ski’), and Snowmobiles, as well as certain Rigid-Inflatable Boats (RIB) designed for high speed motorizing offshore.
Passengers riding this saddle can travel for long hours, including in choppy water, without suffering from back pain or fatigue. This is due to the fact that while seated in the Riding position, with a leg on each side of the saddle, the passenger’s legs support them in the most effective way, and no horizontal pressure from a backrest is being applied on their lower back.
In addition, the S4 passengers can stand up any time they want, and keep driving and paddling while standing up. They can even lay down with their back on the saddle, and relax. Switching between positions assures that no extreme fatigue or tension would build up in any part of the passenger’s body.
Easy Transportation and Full Portability
The S4 weighs 100 lbs without a motor attached to it, and one person can cartop it. Therefore, it does not require a trailer for transportation.
Total Mobility and Increased Range of Travel
The S4 can be dragged or carried over rough terrain, and launched practically anywhere, whether it’s a rocky beach, shallow water, or other difficult spots that are not accessible to other boats.
The S4 can go almost anywhere, thanks to a number of special features –
No other boat offers such a combination of shallow draft and total multi-modal propulsion, namely the ability to keep going in an effective paddling and poling mode even if the water is too shallow and/or infested with weeds to allow for motorizing.
No other boat, big or small, works so well both on flat water and in the ocean chop. The S4 is both the most stable and seaworthy boat for its size.
Large Size Onboard Storage
The S4 offers over ten times more onboard storage than the biggest fishing kayaks and motorized boards dubbed microskiff and micro boat. In fact, the space available for dry storage on board the S4 is comparable to the storage space offered by a good size Jon-boat, or a regular skiff.
So far, the speed record for the S4 is 17 mph. This record was set with a 9.8 HP Tohatsu outboard motor by Captain Larry Jarboe, and documented in video. Based on the boat’s perfect performance at this speed, it could go faster with a more powerful motor. Please note that Wavewalk does not recommend using motors that are over 6 HP with the S4.
- Empty, no motor: less than 1″ draft
- Loaded with 200 lbs: less than 3″ draft
- Loaded with 400 lbs: less than 5″ draft
The S4 Comes With a Heavy Duty (HD) Mounting Plate For a Motor, Standard
S4 Mounting Plate Tech Specs:
- Thickness: 1.5″
- Material: Medium Density Overlay (MDO) coated with urethane.
- Parts: The S4 mounting plate comes with a pair of 5/16″, 3.5″ long carriage bolts, and self-locking nuts.
- Compatible with outboard motors up to 6 HP
Installing the S4 mounting plate takes a few minutes: Insert it into the molded-in transom motor mount stand, carefully drill two 5/16″ holes through the existing two holes, and secure it in place with the two carriage bolts provided.
The S4 Mounting Plate fits 20″ long (L) propeller shafts.
Paddling Kit for Kayaking and Canoeing: $110
This kit includes a 9 ft long, 2-piece dual blade (‘Kayak’) paddle and a pair of T-grip handles. The two halves of the XL paddle can be instantly outfitted with handles, and transformed into 2 canoe paddles.
More info »
Wavewalk® 9 ft long dual blade (‘Kayak’) paddle: $190
Common dual blade (‘kayak’) paddles are neither long nor sturdy or rigid enough for paddling this paddle craft, pole it in shallow water, and paddle standing.
Wavewalk® 9’8″ extra long dual blade (‘Kayak’) paddle: $230
For very tall people, or people who plan on paddling standing and poling most of the time.
6. Price and Ordering Info
Price: $2,780 + shipping to your address
S4 Shipping RATES
|REGION / DIVISION||STATES INCLUDED|
|South Atlantic||FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, DC, MD, DE||$450|
|Middle Atlantic||PA, NY, NJ||$450|
|New England||CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, ME||$500|
|East South Central||MS, AL, TN, KY||$450|
|West South Central||TX, LA, OK, AR||$550|
|East North Central||IL, IN, OH, WI, MI||$550|
|West North Central||KS, MO, NE, IA, SD, ND, MN||$600|
|Mountain||AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, ID, WY, MT||$700|
|Pacific||WA, OR, CA||$800|
|CANADIAN METROPOLITAN AREA|
We ship every Wavewalk S4 in a custom heavy-duty cardboard box.
Factory pickup – Our kayaks are manufactured in Latta, South Carolina. Clients can pickup their order at the factory, and save the shipping cost. Please contact us for details.
Wavewalk offers a 5% discount on the total order to members and veterans of U.S. Armed Forces, law enforcement officers, and firefighters.
Wavewalk does not collect sales tax, but you’ll be required to pay sales tax when you register your S4 multihull boat with your local authorities.
Most states require issuing a title for a boat, and the S4 is a multihull boat. You’d have to find out what the specific requirements are with your state’s authority that’s responsible for registering boats.
To order your S4 simply send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
In your order, please include your name, address, the color and accessories you chose for your S4, and the best phone number for the carrier to call you before delivery.
If you have any question, please email us, or call us at 774 315-6009
- Please make your check payable to Wavewalk, Inc., and mail it to –
- Wavewalk, Inc.
- 115 Terrace Avenue
- Riverside, RI 02915
Checkout our list of local Dealers and Demo Agents »
W700 or S4?
- W700 advantages over the S4: Solo kayaking, solo canoeing, tandem kayaking, tandem canoeing, portability.
- S4 advantages over the W700: Motorizing, tandem motorizing, tandem fishing, stability, offshore trips, load capacity (big guys, additional passengers, heavy gear).
- Shallow water – The S4 drafts less than the W700, and it features a skiff stand up casting platform, but the W700 paddles better.
- Offshore – The S4 is more seaworthy than the W700.
Do you feel unsure? Please don’t hesitate to call or email us. We’re always happy to answer questions about our products and the best ways to use them, and offer more details about performance, outfitting, etc.