The 2024 W720 Catamaran Kayak Skiff is the new model from Wavewalk’s W700 series.
The W720 is classified as a Kayak. This means that if you motorize your W720 you will register it as a motorized kayak, and neither as a boat (monohull) nor as a multihull boat, such as the S4.
2024 W720 Colors
The 2024 W720 is offered in Gator Green, which is a dark, drab, khaki-style green such as typically seen in Jon boats and airboats. It’s a color that blends well with surrounding vegetation, and as such best serves applications such as inland fishing, wildlife photography, and duck hunting. We also offer the W720 in White.
The W720 Kayak Skiff features the same HDPE catamaran twin-hull, spacious cockpit, and watertight, jet-ski style saddle-seat as previous models from the W700 series, and similarly, it comes outfitted with 4 carry handles located at each of its 4 hull tips.
However, the W720 comes with a built-in support (mount) for a mounting plate for outboard motors up to 3 HP, and we ship this mounting plate with every W720.
Back Pain Free Kayak
Like all Wavewalk’s boats and kayaks, the W720 features a comfortable saddle seat that totally back pain free »
W720 Weight: 85 lbs including a new integrated motor mount
The patented catamaran W720 is a more stable kayak than any other kayak out there, including the biggest, widest and heaviest SOT fishing kayaks.
W720 vs W700?
The 2024 W720 is Wavewalk’s newest model in the W700 series.
Unlike previous W700 models, the W720 features a new, higher wooden saddle bracket at the stern, behind its saddle seat, and a new mounting plate for an outboard motor up to 3 HP. The mounting plate is attached to both the boat’s stern and the new wooden mounting plate.
Together, the wooden mounting plate and the wooden saddle bracket form the W720 motor mount for outboard motors up to 3 HP.
Unlike previous models of the W700, the 2024 W720 kayak skiff is offered in Gator Green, and in White.
advantages of the W720 kayak skiff
The W720 allows its users to attach an electric motor or a lightweight outboard gas motor up to 3 HP directly to the transom, for use as backup and/or auxiliary propulsion on top of paddling, as well as for trolling and traveling in calm and mildly choppy water.
The W720 kayak-skiff’s extreme light weight allows for easy car-topping and transportation, as well as easy carrying (portaging) over difficult terrain, sand, rocks, etc.
Users of the W720 can launch and beach it practically anywhere. Unlike other motorized kayaks, driving the W720 kayak-skiff is easy, intuitive, and effective, including launching, starting, changing gears, refueling on the water, driving standing, driving in moving water, and driving with a passenger on board. None of these things works well with other motorized kayaks, where accessing the motor from the cockpit is very hard or even impossible, and stability is poor.
Integrated Motor Mount vs Add-On Motor Mount
Older W700 models did not feature a motor mount, and they were offered with an optional add-on motor mount. The W720 is the first model from the W700 series that features a new, integrated motor mount that’s similar to the S4 motor mount. This new, standard integrated motor mount is both lightweight and strong.
We do not recommend driving the W720 in rough water
The reason – better safe than sorry. If you’re looking for a seaworthy cartop boat, get the Wavewalk S4.
Do not outfit your W720 with a motor that’s over 3 HP
W720 vs S4
The two are comparable, but not similar –
- W720 Advantages: The main advantages of the W720 over the S4 are its lower weight and the fact that it’s easier for one person to paddle. A typical 2.5 HP outboard weighs 30 lbs, and a typical 6 HP motor weighs 60 lbs. This means that when motorized, the 85 lbs W720 weighs 115 lbs, while a 100 lbs S4 outfitted with a 6 HP outboard weighs up to 160 lbs. It’s a noticeable difference, especially if only one user has to carry it.
- S4 Advantages: The S4 is much faster and much more stable and seaworthy than the W720, and its higher volume and load capacity offer more onboard storage, as well as more room onboard for passengers.
- In sum, the S4 is a high performance, seaworthy, multi-hull cartop boat that you can drive anywhere and paddle effectively, while the W720 is a stable and comfortable catamaran kayak skiff that you can paddle and drive effectively and comfortably on calm water.
Components of the W720 transom motor mount
- 3/4″ thick MDO (Medium Density Overlay), urethane coated saddle bracket that includes a supporting plate for the mounting plate.
- 3/4″ thick MDO urethane coated mounting plate that the user installs by means of two 5/16″ diameter bolts and two screws, and to which the motor is attached.
Installation Instructions for the W720 Mounting Plate
The plate comes with two 5/16″ carriage bolts, two self-locking nuts, and two 1.5″ screws.
- Place the mounting plate as shown in the above picture, with the side that features the screw marks facing outward (i.e. backward).
- Use a 5/16 drill bit to drill through the 5/16 holes from the outside of the cockpit inwards, all the way to the other side of the support plate, inside the cockpit.
- Push the carriage bolts from within the cockpit outwards (forcefully), and secure tightly with the self-locking nuts, as seen in the pictures below.
- Install the two screws sightly in the two marks below the bolts.
- You can apply some Goop watertight adhesive over the heads of the bolts and nuts, or spar urethane.
- Attach your motor to the mounting plate.
- Drive carefully.
Do not outfit your W720 with a motor that’s over 3 HP
Paddling Kit for Kayaking and Canoeing » Price: $110