The information that features on this page is mainly about our classic 500 kayak series. We also listed here the 700 series, as a full tandem fishing kayak.
Kayaks from the 500 series can be motorized easily and effectively, but if you’re interested in high performance motorizing, namely high speed, bigger loads, offshore trips, etc., visit our website’s Motor Kayaks Section »
People who fish from a Wavewalk 500 say it’s the world’s best fishing kayak. Before going further, watch this stability demo video:
|Background||Operating Your Wavewalk® Kayak|
|Dimensions, Features, Models, Benefits and Prices||Accessories|
|Wavewalk 500 Technical Overview||Performance Facts|
|Maximal Recommended Load (MRL)||Demo Videos|
“The World’s Best Fishing Kayak” – Wavewalk® 500 Background
All Wavewalk kayaks and boats are based our patented invention allowing the design of small, lightweight watercraft that offer more stability, comfort and control than other kayak and small boats do.
We came out with the 500 series in May of 2009, and it became an instant success. Until August 2015 when we introduced the 700 series, the W500 was the world’s most stable and most comfortable kayak, and it featured the biggest storage space, so its users dubbed it “The world’s best fishing kayak”. Some of them have contributed their reviews of the Wavewalk 500 »
In November 2013, we made the W500’s saddle bracket a standard feature in all models from this series, in order to help protect them from excessive load and mechanical stress.
Since the advent of the bigger, heavier and more stable 700 series, the classic 500 is popular mainly as a solo fishing kayak, and as a touring kayak for lightweight tandem crews. Many W500 owners motorize it with electric trolling motors and small, lightweight outboard gas motors.
Features, Benefits, and Pricing Info
The W700 series is comparable to the W500 series, and we offer information about it here in order to make it easier to compare the two –
|KAYAK SERIES AND MODEL||500
|Price||$1,400 + shipping||$2,000 + shipping|
|Total Dimensions||L = 11’4″ W = 29″||L = 12’10” W = 31″|
|Total Weight||60 lbs||80 lbs|
|Cockpit Dimensions||L = 6 ft W = 29″||L = 7’7″ W = 31″|
|Flush Mounted Rod Holder Installed||no||no|
|Clamp Mount Rod Holders||no||no|
|Detachable Flotation Modules
|no||no. the saddle serves as flotation|
|Built-In Large-Size Saddle Flotation||no||yes|
|MDO Reinforcement Saddle Bracket Installed||yes, 1 unit||yes, 1 unit|
|Molded-In Saddle Reinforcement||yes, gussets||yes, 7 pairs of Polyethylene brackets|
|Max Payload: Passengers + Gear (More info below on crew size and other possibilities*)||360 lbs||500 lbs|
|Tandem Paddling||light crew||full tandem + more|
|Tandem Fishing||limited tandem||full tandem|
|Suitable For Electric Trolling Motor (Requires installing a motor mount)||yes||yes|
|Compatible With Outboard Gas Motors Featuring a 20″ Long (L) Propeller Shaft (Requires installing a motor mount)||yes, max 3 hp||yes, max 4.5 hp|
|Compatible With Outboard Gas Motors Featuring
a 15″ Short (S) Propeller Shaft
Wavewalk 500 color options
HOW TO ORDER A WAVEWALK® KAYAK?
Simply, send us an email telling us which model, color and accessories you’re ordering, and we’ll process your order immediately, without waiting for your check to arrive and clear. By the time we receive your check, your order will be either ready for shipping or close to being completed. In your order please include your full name, the address where you want us to ship the boat, and a telephone number for the carriers to call to set the appointment for delivery.
Please make your check payable to Wavewalk, Inc.
Our address: Wavewalk, Inc., 115 Terrace Avenue, Riverside, RI 02915
Call us 774 315-6009
Wavewalk® kayaks are available at our authorized local dealerships.
W500 PRICE and SHIPPING INFO
Price: $1,400 + Shipping to your address
|REGION / DIVISION||STATES INCLUDED||W500|
|South Atlantic||FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, DC, MD, DE||$100|
|Middle Atlantic||PA, NY, NJ||$150|
|New England||CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, ME||$200|
|East South Central||MS, AL, TN, KY||$100|
|West South Central||TX, LA, OK, AR||$250|
|East North Central||IL, IN, OH, WI, MI||$200|
|West North Central||KS, MO, NE, IA, SD, MD, MN||$300|
|Mountain||AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, ID, WY, MT||$400|
|Pacific||WA, OR, CA||$450|
|CANADIAN METROPOLITAN AREA||W500|
Factory pickup – Our kayaks are manufactured in Latta, South Carolina. Clients can pickup their order at the factory, and avoid paying a shipping fee. Please contact us for details.
For all our kayaks:
- We ship every Wavewalk® kayak in a custom cardboard box
- No extra charge on accessories shipped with the kayak
- Free call before delivery service for shipments in the US and Canada
Wavewalk® 500 OVERVIEW
- Flush mount rod holders (No longer offered)
- Saddle: 6 ft long, 14″ high, 12″ wide
- Cockpit: 6 ft long, 29″ wide, 17″ deep
- Prep for cockpit cover (No longer offered)
- Four piece carry handle (x4)
- Molded-in saddle reinforcement element (x13)
- Hull tip for storage (x4)
- Hull: 11’4″ long, 14″ deep, 8″ wide (x2)
- 3″ high spray deflector
3D VIRTUAL TOUR ANIMATION
The above video shows the kayak’s twin-hull (‘catamaran’) structure, the reinforced saddle (longitudinal seat) that the passengers ride like the saddle of a personal watercraft (a.k.a. Jet Ski) or all-terrain-vehicle (ATV), with a leg in each hull. Also shown are the depth of the hulls, and the vast storage space they offer in the spacious cockpit and hull tips, and the spray deflector around the cockpit.
What is a Wavewalk® Kayak?
Wavewalk is a registered trademark and the name given to a patented invention recognized as a new type of watercraft.
Since it is lightweight and narrow enough for its passengers to propel with kayak paddles, the US Coast Guard (USCG) classifies the Wavewalk 500 as a kayak. The Wavewalk 500 features two full twin hulls joined by a central structure dubbed Saddle, which is similar to the saddle of personal watercraft (PWC), also known as jet-skis. Unlike common catamarans, the W500 cockpit offers passengers to sit or stand with a leg in each hull.
Unlike common kayaks, the Wavewalk design does not force its users to sit in the non-ergonomic L-position, with their legs stretched in front of them. Instead, the Wavewalk offers its users to ride its saddle in a naturally comfortable, stable and powerful Riding posture shown here (1 & 2). The Riding posture is back-pain-free.
Wavewalk passengers can also stand up anytime they want, lay down on the saddle and stretch their back, or sit in a more relaxed posture, as shown here (3 & 4)
The W500 kayak’s unique combination of improved stability, ergonomics and hydrodynamics offers its users unrivaled performance when they paddle with either kayak or canoe paddles, as well as when they motorize it with electric motors or with powerful outboard gas engines.
Note: The information featuring below pertains to the 500 series. For full 700 Series technical specs and other information, please visit our W700 page »
Wavewalk® 500 DIMENSIONS
- Total Length: 136″ (345 cm).
- Total Width: 29″ (73 cm).
- Hull Width: 8″ (20 cm) in the cockpit area.
- Saddle Width at the Bottom: 12.5″ (32 cm)
- Internal Hull Length: 136″ (345 cm) available for storage.
- Cockpit-Opening Length: 72″ (183 cm). Internal cockpit is longer in the hull tips.
- Cockpit Height: 17″ (43 cm) from the bottom of the hulls.
- Saddle Height: 14.5″ (37 cm) from the bottom of the hulls.
- Weight: 60 lbs (27 kg) with no added accessories.
- Storage Space: 8.8 cubic ft (66 gallons / 250 liters) of internal, dry, always accessible storage space, inside the cockpit, two hulls, and 4 hull tips.
- Internal Volume: 117 gallons (15.7 cubic feet / 444 liters). This doesn’t mean all this space is available for storage, and it certainly doesn’t mean the kayak can carry the equivalent load – See Storage and Maximal Recommended Load (MRL)
Patented, deep twin hulls attached by a long and high saddle. US utility patent number 6871608.
The W500 kayak is symmetrical both left-right and front-rear: Bow and stern are interchangeable.
The entire internal space of the hulls is empty and protected, and serves for storing camping and fishing gear. Passengers in the cockpit can conveniently access this 66 gallon (250 liters) dry storage space at all times.
This new type of watercraft is a catamaran in a hydrodynamic sense, since it features two full-featured hulls.
The passengers’ feet reach all the way down to the bottom of the hulls, which also serve to store gear on board, and therefore, the use of the term ‘pontoons’ (floats) to describe this kayak’s hulls is technically incorrect.
Draft by Load:
- at 200 lb Load: 4″ (10 cm draft at 91 kg load).
- at 360 lb Load: 6.5″ (16 cm draft at 163 kg load).
Hull: Rotationally Molded High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
Saddle Bracket: Medium Density Overlay (MDO).
Our kayaks are made from 100% recyclable materials
Country of Origin:
Our Wavewalk® kayaks offer several times more storage space than any other kayak. The amount of storage available is equal to the kayak’s internal volume, minus the space occupied by each passenger. The storage space includes the kayak’s two hulls and its cockpit. The W500’s total internal volume is 117 gallons (15.7 cubic feet / 444 liters), of which 8.8 cubic ft (66 gallons / 250 liters) can be used for internal, dry and always accessible storage space, inside the cockpit, two hulls, and 4 hull tips.
The passengers in the W500 can easily access their gear anytime, and the gear stays dry under normal conditions. The cockpit can be partially or entirely covered by a cockpit cover. Read more about the W500 huge internal storage space »
* Note: The information featuring on this page is mostly about the 500 series. The bigger 700 series offers more storage space. For full 700 Series technical specs and other information, please visit our W700 page »
Wavewalk® 500 Maximal Recommended Load (MRL):
360 lbs (163 kg) in total, including passengers and all the gear they carry, stored inside the hulls or attached to the kayak.
Like any other vehicle, an overloaded kayak becomes slower, less stable, and less maneuverable.
Wavewalk® 500 Weight Limitations for Passengers:
The combined weight of passenger, cargo and motor should not exceed the 360 lbs MRL.
Tandem paddling – The combined weight of both passengers and their gear should not exceed the 360 lbs MRL.
Since November of 2013, all W500 models come outfitted with a saddle bracket, standard.
Always operate your Wavewalk® kayak within the above load limitations – Even if your W500 kayak feels perfectly stable and comfortable. Failing to comply with our recommendations could damage it, and might even be hazardous. More info »
W500 kayaks come equipped with 4 ergonomic, 4-piece carry handles – standard
The W500 is nimble and lightweight. It weighs just 60lbs.
OPERATING YOUR Wavewalk® 500 KAYAK
- For your maiden voyage as a W500 kayaker, we recommend the Riding posture and not the Sitting posture.
- Practice operating your W500 kayak on flat water before taking it in moving water.
- Remember that your experience in paddling canoes or common kayaks is irrelevant to the W500 kayak, which offers a much broader performance envelope. Take your time learning how to operate your W500 kayak, so that you can benefit in full from what it has to offer you.
- You can enter the W kayak’s cockpit from its rear, and exit it from the front – Keep your feet dry!
- Paddling and motorizing your W500 kayak from the middle of its cockpit makes it both stabler and faster. You can easily move along your W500 kayak’s saddle and relocate fore and aft in the 6 ft long cockpit, but remember that normally you operate a W500 kayak from the middle of its cockpit, and not from its rear.
- Surf launching and beaching: Operating your W500 kayak from the cockpit’s rear end makes its bow rise. This is an advantage when you launch your W500 kayak in the surf, or beach it anywhere.
- You can make your W500 kayak go over obstacles sticking out of shallow water – See article and video »
- Tracking in strong wind: You can operate your W kayak from a point that’s closer to cockpit’s rear, if adding weight to the stern helps you track under strong wind. Similarly, you can also move forward, in case relocating your weight towards the bow helps you track and steer under strong wind blowing from a different direction. You’d never need a rudder to help you track or steer your W500 kayak. For more information, see full article and video »
- Tandem paddling – Due to its small size, the W500 is suitable only for a lightweight tandem crew. In comparison, the W700 is viewed by many people who use it in tandem as the world’s best tandem kayak.
- Motorizing – Get used to paddling your W500 kayak before you motorize it. Driving a motorized W500 kayak is done from its middle, and not from the cockpit’s rear end. You’d need to outfit your motor with a long articulated (jointed) tiller extension.
* Note: The information featuring here is mainly about to Wavewalk 500 kayaks. The new Wavewalk 700 kayak and portable boat series is bigger and more stable. For full 700 Series technical specs and other information, please visit our Wavewalk 700 page »
Tite-Lok clamp mount rod holder.
We recommend using clamp mount or deck mount rod holders for motorized fishing kayaks, rather than flush mount rod holders.
IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT PADDLES
Common kayak paddles are neither long and rigid nor durable enough for Wavewalk Kayakers:
The Wavewalk requires using a longer paddle even in the seated (Riding) position, and when you use a long paddle you can achieve more both in tracking terms as well as in maneuvering, and you gain additional mobility »
Paddling standing requires a paddle that’s both longer and more rigid than other kayak paddles. A ‘soft’ paddle wastes your energy and slows you down.
Launching and beaching in difficult spots, and poling in shallow water require a paddle that’s longer, more rigid, and more durable than most paddles.
When all above requirements are concerned, our composite paddles are unmatched, which is why we haven’t changed their design in over a decade.
To learn more about our extra long, multi-purpose, extra-rigid, durable, composite paddles, please visit our website’s paddles section »
What Makes The Wavewalk® 500 The World’s Top Performing Solo Fishing Kayak, And The One That’s Best For You?
Some Important Facts That You Can Check:
- It’s the world’s most stable kayak for its size. It’s even stabler than kayaks equipped with outriggers.
- It’s the most comfortable kayak for its size, and it does not force you to sit with your legs stretched forward, and offers you to switch anytime between various positions, so you can avoid fatigue, leg pain, sore back and a wet butt.
- Compared to SOT and sit-in kayaks, the W500 is extremely easy to paddle, since it tracks better in strong wind, and requires no rudder, except in case you outfit it with a large-size sailing rig.
- It’s the only kayak of its size that offers true stand-up paddling and fishing in safety and confidence, with a 14.5″ high seat ready for you lose balance, so you don’t have to swim.
- The W500 is more mobile than SOT and sit-in kayaks, enabling launching, paddling, fishing and beaching where other kayaks simply can’t go.
- It’s an extremely roomy kayak, offering several times more storage space than any SOT or sit-in kayak, including big ones, and enough room for a second, lightweight passenger.
- The W500 is more versatile, for any weather and water condition you need, including cold water, shallow water and the ocean surf.
- The W500 offers you both top performance and best value, since you save a lot by not having to purchase a special car-rack, a rudder, a seat, and outriggers.
- The W500 kayak is very easy to motorize, and as a motorized kayak it performs far better than SOT and sit-in kayaks.
- Being lightweight and featuring twin hulls, the W500 is very easy to car top this kayak on any car rack, without needing a special kayak rack »
For additional information on delivery, cancellation of order, product warranty and return policies please visit our website’s Product and Service Policies section.
Learn more about operating this kayak from our User Manual »