Wavewalk® Standard Inflatable, Detachable Flotation Modules
When motorized, our Wavewalk® 500 kayak and Wavewalk® 700 car-top boat are heavier, and they go at high speed. This may require adding high capacity, multi-purpose flotation, which is what Wavewalk’s inflatable detachable flotation modules offer.
When attached to the kayak’s sides, the inflatable flotation tubes can make it less easy to paddle, which is why these accessories are mainly a solution for motorizing and not for paddling long distances, unless you attach them under the kayak’s saddle, where they won’t interfere with the movement of your paddle.
Tech Specs – stated for 1 inflatable flotation tube:
Dimensions: Length: 60″ (152 cm) Diameter: 6.5″ (16.5 cm)
–Note: Fits exactly between the eyelets on the kayak’s sides in the XL and INF configurations.
-Note: Each side of the Wavewalk TM kayak can fit up to 2 inflatable flotation modules (Maximum 4 modules for the kayak’s sides).
Weight: Each module weighs 1.5 lbs (0.7 kg)
Volume: The volume of a single inflatable module is 2,000 cubic inches (8.65 gallon / 32.5 liter). The volume of a pair is 4,000 cubic inches.
Material: PVC Color: Black
Thickness: 30 MIL (0.03″) or 0.763 mm (Heavy Duty)
Air valves: Each module is outfitted with 2 air valves – A 1″ wide easy-filling valve, and a small valve for quick pressure-release.
–Note: The wide air filling valve eliminates the need for an air pump.
–Note: Do not fill the flotation module completely – Always leave some room for the air inside to expand as the sun warms it. If you see the surface is too stretched, release some air through the small valve.
Attachment: Each module is outfitted with 2 heavy-duty rope eyes, and ships with 2 anodized aluminum carabiners
Repair: Each pair of inflatable flotation modules ships with a PVC repair kit
Country of Origin: Made in USA
Price: This accessory is sold in pairs. Each pair sells for $228.
Shipping: When ordered together with a W kayak, these accessories ship with no additional cost. When ordered separately, S&H is $20 to addresses in the continental US, and $25 for shipping to addresses in Canada and Alaska.
Inflatable flotation tubes – usage and advantages
- Trimming at high speed: When the inflatable flotation tubes are attached on both sides on the kayak’s stern, the added buoyancy there helps in keeping the kayak level when motorizing at high speed, both in the front-back and left-right directions.
- Outriggers (Stabilizers): When attached on the kayak’s sides, the flotation modules act as outriggers, namely increase its lateral stability. This is particularly useful in the motorized or sailing modes.
- Capsize prevention: When attached to the kayak’s sides, the inflatable flotation modules help prevent it from flipping in case of an accident.
- Recovery (flotation): In case an accident happened, the flotation helps the kayak stay afloat.
- Recovery (flipping back): In case the kayak is overturned or laying in its side, the inflatable flotation tube can help the user flip the kayak back.
- Personal flotation: When detached from the kayak, an inflatable tube can serve as personal flotation.